Lucky Wishbone, Tucson, AZ
This sign is quite impressive at night. The restaurant still uses paper to take and place orders, and has a nice old fashioned feel.
Lucky Wishbone opened as Tucson’s first fast food restaurant on July 10, 1953, at 4872 S. 6th Avenue and added five other locations between 1953 and 1973. French fries sold for 20 cents, a steak sandwich for 45 cents, and a banana split cost 40 cents. At the time, the city building area stopped at Country Club, and there were only four or five businesses between there and six miles away on Wilmot St. The Swan Road location was constructed in 1957, and on opening night some 4,000 Tucsonans visited between 4 pm and midnight. The restaurant was redesigned in 1969. The neon sign, built by Arizona neon, has become synonymous with the chain and is a Broadway Blvd. landmark.